Never Buy Jewellery Again

You can;

  • copy the jewellery of the rich and famous

  • get the designer look at a fraction on the cost

  • design the jewellery YOU love

  • design & make gifts for family & friends

  • start your own business

Making your own jewellery is easy...

I will show you how for FREE - no catch.

About me

I have been making jewellery since 1989 and I still love it. I also love talking about it and teaching others how to do it too. That's why I have started this blog, which I will use to post projects & information for others to learn or just to build their confidence and knowledge.

I am completely self-taught (yes I know, so is any idiot) but I also pick up a lot of tips and techniques through reading and general research and messing about with beads. I hope that I will be able to help you to create your own fabulous jewellery, either for personal use, gifts or as a business.

It doesn't take a lot to get started. Infact, you may have everything you need already. I started with some broken necklaces inherited from my grandma, some fuse wire from the kitchen drawer and some old nail scissors. I made a few pairs of earrings and then my dad gave me some pliers but I couldn't find any jewellery making or beads suppliers in the UK. I stuck with making earrings for while because they used up fewer beads.

I made dozens of pairs of earring but I was only 11 and not allowed to get my ears pierced, so I started giving them away (the earrings, not my ears). After a few weeks I got smart and took them to school to sell. One lunchtime I had laid out my earrings on a class table and was selling to the girls in my class when our English teacher walked in. I thought that I would get into trouble but she loved the earrings and bought 3 pairs for herself. After that I was always the first person anyone came to if they had a piece of jewellery that needed fixing or re-threading and they would usually give me a box of chocolates or something for my trouble.

18 years on and I am still passionate about jewellery making and I still make my living from it.

What you will need

Surprisingly little actually and it needn't break the bank!


  • Round nose pliers (for forming wire loops and shapes)

  • Flat or chain nose pliers (you will probably need these to add clasps, etc. even if you do not make wire jewellery)

  • Wire cutters (er, for cutting the wire, obviously)

  • Crimping pliers (useful when threading beads on tigertail - more about that later)

You can pick these tools up for a couple of pounds a pair from most jewellery supplies companies, or treat yourself to some posh and expensive ones (Lindstrom are £30+ per pair). Many jewellery makers invest in better tools when their hobby starts paying for itself, but you don't have to spend a fortune to buy good tools.

You will also need


  • Beading needles (if you are stringing or weaving beads)

  • Findings - i.e. clasps, earring wires, headpins, brooch backs - more about these later

  • Thread such as Nymo, C-lon, Fireline, Tigertail or even fishing line (not sewing cotton)

  • Wire - comes in a wide range of metals & thicknesses, 0.8mm being the most useful - more later

  • BEADS - This is where you will be investing most of your money, the range of beads available if huge. You could become quite mad/addicted/senseless/broke very quickly. Be warned!

I have covered the subject of pliers, in my opinion you can make beautiful jewellery with £2 pliers, its what you do with them that counts. I will post some step by step wiring pictures on here shortly with instructions to help you get started.

I will now go through more thoroughly the other things listed above;

Needles - If you are using a bead loom, then long beading needles are better but for everything else I use quilter's sharps size 12. 12's fit through most beads and cost less than special beading needles. Short needles are easier to use for off-loom work. AND, here's a tip I picked up; if you lose the tip of your needle you can still use it because BEADS HAVE HOLES. You do not need your needle to be sharp and it might be better to cut the tip off before you start so that you don't pierce your thread.

Findings - Base metal or plated findings are very cheap these days and sterling silver is now more affordable than ever. Some people have metal allergies and can only wear precious metal such as silver or gold. Gold-filled findings are a great alternative to 14kt gold because they contain 100 times more gold than gold plated and the gold doesn't rub off.

Clasps available range from bolt-rings to lobster clasps to toggles. You can also get magnetic clasps but these are not suitable for people with pacemakers.

I always use sterling silver or gold-filled findings in my jewellery because they do not cost a lot of money anymore and it is worth using precious metal after putting the work into a piece of jewellery.

There are many kinds of earring findings available; Fish hooks, kidney wires, french wires and clip or screw on findings for non-pierced ears. Again, I always use sterling silver or gold-filled.

Headpins are small lengths of wire (usually about 2") with a "head" at one end. Use headpins when making wired earrings, charms or pendants.

Thread - You should not use sewing thread to make your jewellery as it is not strong enough to withstand the wear and tear that jewellery is subjected to. Nymo thread is very cheap and a bobbin of it goes a long way. C-lon is similar and both Nymo and C-lon come in a wide range of colours. I use both of these but sometimes I need a stronger thread if I an using crystals, bugles or heavy beads. Tigertail or Fire-line or regulare fishing line are great for tougher jobs.

When using tigertail you can use crimp beads to fasten it to hold a clasp or to keep beads in place. These are small metal beads that you thread on and then squash tight to prevent the tigertail from moving through it.

Wire - I use plated and precious metal wire, depending on what I am making. I use a lot of 0.8mm wire because it holds its shape and is not too thick. 0.4mm or 0.6mm is used for wire-wrapping and tiaras, thicker wire is used for bulkier items. Sterling silver wire also comes in varying degrees of hardness from dead soft to hard with half-hard in between.

BEADS - Not sure where to start with this one, so we will cover these as we go along!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice illustrations and clear instructions, thank you.